Career Job in Helena, Montana : MT
Looking for Career Jobs? See currently available Career job openings on career.jobs.net . Browse the current listings and fill out job applications.
career.jobs.net is the starting point for a job search in any career job . We provide job resources for Career positions throughout the industry. career.jobs.net also provides Career jobs listings from around the United States. Job seekers can search and apply for jobs in Career by either city or state.
career.jobs.net is a career job search resource for job seekers. Here you can easily find all Career jobs, post a resume, and research your career.
Get started on your career job search on career.jobs.net today.
Paving Crew Laborer
Paving Crew Laborer Job Description
Job ID: []
Helena Sand & Gravel, is a member of the Oldcastle Materials Mountain West Division; Our purpose, commitment to the future, and formula for growth is to champion the safety, empowerment, and development of our employees. We strive to be The Preferred Source of quality sand, rock, landscape products, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, paving and construction services. We succeed as a team by embracing integrity, mutual respect, innovation, service, sustainability, and financial strength.
Job Title: Laborer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The General/Skilled Laborer is responsible for performing a variety of construction duties to assist the highway, utility or grade crews at various job site locations. Skilled Laborer positions perform more advanced work duties along with training and supervising the General Laborers. Primarily work 10-hours per day, 5 days per week. Will also be required to work up to 14-hours per day, and up to 7 days per week as needed during the busy construction season. This position requires traveling for extended periods of time to perform the job duties at various jobsite locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares ground surfaces for the road building process. Removes debris out of the construction path.
- Operates ground compactors, levels out and rakes dirt, sets string markers, and removes items within the area to be paved.
- Sets up fencing, barricades, and/or safety cones to block off the work area as needed.
- Prepares manhole covers, openings and water lines. May insert risers as needed.
- Walks behind paver machine to shovel and rake asphalt as it is applied to the ground. Levels out asphalt with rake and uses shovel to dig out manhole covers and water valve boxes that are buried by the asphalt.
- Cleans asphalt off tools and equipment after each work day.
- May assist with operating equipment as needed and if trained, including paver, roller, backhoe, water truck, etc.
- Performs other laborer tasks as needed to include cutting concrete or asphalt with saw, sweeping, etc.
- Hand shovels to prepare ground trenches for pipes and utility lines. May dig up existing pipes and lines. Pipes include water, sewer, conduit and other utility lines.
- Attaches trench box and pipes to chains or guide wires to be lifted and moved by the heavy equipment operator. Installs shoring materials.
- Guides pipes into place while equipment operator maneuvers pipe on chains/wires. Connects pipes using tools, lubricants, glue, grout, etc. Builds couplings, connectors, and mechanical joints using various tools and parts. Cuts pipe to size.
- Sets up and operates laser level tripod and pipe lasers.
- May operate equipment as needed if trained, including front end loader, excavator, backhoe, skidsteer and other construction equipment.
- Hand shovels and rakes to perform groundwork.
- May cut concrete with saw as needed to finish grades.
- Removes and replaces sewer/manhole/sump castings and covers in the ground.
- Assists the Grader with grading tasks as needed.
- Performs other laborer duties as required.
- May operate equipment as needed if trained, including skidsteer and other equipment.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one year of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply mechanical skills and understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move any where up to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform the job successfully; an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must be able to pass physical fitness and agility test.
Helena Sand & Gravel, a division of Oldcastle Materials, is one of the hundreds of businesses that comprise the Oldcastle family. As the leading vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mixed concrete, and paving services, Oldcastle is one of North America’s largest corporations. Oldcastle’s decentralized, diversified structure, allows employees to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise. Whether we’re safely paving miles of interstate, building two thousand-foot-long bridges or constructing roads through national parks, Oldcastle Materials’ continued investment in people, performance and communities has positioned us as an industry leader.
Oldcastle Materials is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our career site. Please take 10 minutes to complete your online profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest in expanding your career with Oldcastle Materials!
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Helena Sand & Gravel is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Helena Sand & Gravel is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.
Helena Career Job